Wow, they really went all out on this. I can't wait to get my hands on it and see just how it runs. Heh, anyone notice the familer style of presenting they did? Maybe they just were eating apples...
Scott Werndorfer and the crew over at Cerulean Studios tipped their hat to the BigBlueBall with a preview of their latest creation: Trillian Astra. Looking over the long list of features -- and performance improvements -- I'm impressed. Here are some highlights:
- Loads skins up to 100% faster than Trillian 3.1
- Uses 5 MB less memory
- Faster redraw times (important if you have lots of contacts)
New Astra Features
- A dedicated Google Talk plug-in, separating it from the Jabber plug-in for improved Google Talk support
- MySpace IM connectivity -- by popular request
- Enhanced file transfers, including easier multiple file transfers
- More complete status message compatibility
- 'Portable' contact list. Your contacts are downloaded from the server, meaning you can run Trillian Astra from any computer and your contact list will always be complete and up-to-date
- One account, multiple networks. Hand-out a unified Trillian Astra account and people can contact you on any of the networks you use
- Like MeeboMe, Trillian Astra provides a web client for 'no-download' access to IM.
- Like Meetro, Trillian Astra allows you to share your geo-location information -- fun for mobile users looking to find friends nearby.
- Online status indicator. Share your status with anyone on your blog, at MySpace or in a forum signature, regardless of which IM network(s) you use.
- Widgets - share your Flickr photostream, or your current playing song, or get the weather for your contacts.
- Improved image sharing
- "Buzz" compatibility (for those of you who live that feature on WLM and Yahoo! Messenger).
- Handwriting support for Tablet PCs
- Local time zone info for your contacts
As many of you know, I've been a big fan of Trillian since it's first beta. I still use Trillian 3.1 regularly, but in addition to many of the native IM programs. My biggest complaint is the intial load time. If Astra delivers on this front, that alone will be reason for me to upgrade.
- New ways of viewing your contacts
- Dynamic list height -- your contact list can be configured to automatically expand to show all visible contacts
So how do you get Trillian Astra? Sadly, Trillian Astra is still not available for download, unless your one of the lucky few selected as an alpha tester. Werndorfer says they are opening up the testing to more people as quickly as they can ensure stability and scalability.
Check out the details, a Flash demo and screenshots at Trillian Astra
Too bad it doesn't run on Apples! Although with the new web interface, that's not quite as big an issue.
Personally, I'd love to see support for mobiles... Windows Mobile at least.
Wow, Very nice! Can't wait for the release.
Really like the Google talk addition.
Great! So trillian isn't dead after all! Great news, can't wait to see a public release soon! Congratz to trillian on all of the progress they've made behind closed doors! Faster drawing speeds and many new features ;) very welcome here!
If you're interested in signing up to test the alpha version, Scott has posted a sign-up form on their blog: Cerulean Studios' Blog: alpha signups
No promises, but hey, you might get your hot hands on it sooner rather than later!
Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully the fact I am the "other IM" guy here will help me in getting it, plus I have multiple testing environments. Hey, I'm a fricken geek :P Can't wait to hopefully try it out!
Can't wait until a final version is released, or even a public beta in that matter. :p
Is this like msn or yahoo? and does it got chatrooms
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)